Wednesday 11 November 2009

Bringing the inside out rather than the outside in.




Today has been I thoughtful day...



It's funny I love floral's and garden prints in my fabrics. It's always a fav bringing the outside indoors by furnishings and the fabric we use. However, I have neglected my lovely little garden since we have moved into this house. I get so wrapped up in the interior design of things that I forget about the outside, garden design. Eek. To be honest I find gardening and the design aspect behind it a little daunting. Actually very daunting. And it's the TIME with gardening isn't it.... everything I do is indoors really, any design and planning I do is indoors with fabric. Be it at my house or someone else's, it's my job after all! I'm much more likely to run up a curtain, than plant up a pot in the garden. 


Well anyway... I am very much a LIST person. I love to write a list and I get very troubled when I can't mark things off of this list. And guess what point has been on my list for far too long... well it's designing the garden.

Do any of you find gardening daunting?? I don't know why I do. I'm a very 'out-doorsey' kinda gal. And I love sitting in the garden, reading the papers and magazines. Having friends and family round for BBQ's and fireworks parties. I absolutely ADORE choosing a tablecloth to adorn the garden table and putting pretty cushions on the garden bench for extra comfort (what a surprise huh!). But the actual gardening side of things... I never seem to get around to taking the plunge. As close as we get is cutting the grass. Oh and I painted the shed a wonderful colour between mint green and duck egg blue, it's totally on the verge of them both... it's a rather strange colour but I'm pleased with it. I love painting things. I also have a little wooden sign hanging from one of the fence panels saying 'Love grows here' - to be frank, not much else does!!


I also really enjoy trips to Kew Gardens which is where all the photos in this post were taken (over three years ago I might add...I can't find my more recent batch)

.



During my trips to Kew, I look at these gorgeous flowers and the greenery and shrubs and look at the colours and think of fabric... I really must start thinking 'oooh I could have one of these in the garden' instead, or at least as well as. 


So after my thoughtful day, I think I will draw up a plan for our garden. Think how to use the space productively, start researching some plants and maybe once beds have been dug, weeds pulled, agreements made on flowers and shrubs we can purchase confidently and plant. Mental note: investigate the best time of year to plant. I love research so I'm sure I'll enjoy this bit. Create our little botanical paradise....okay, okay I may be going a step too far there. 


And think of the tablecloths I could buy and make for my newly designed garden... ;-) sorry, I'm never going to change that much people!... : )


If anyone has any suggestions they would be welcome....


- Lucy x

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see a new blogger - especially one with fabric in the title! Re the post above - I tend to be a bit of a fair weather gardener - this time of year is only fit for planning not doing, it is so cold and miserable. But it is a good idea to start taking photos at different times of the year/day: this will help you to remember where the sun is and also what things look like in different seasons, and remind you what to do at planting time. Good luck with the blog and the shop.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete